September 5, 2007

Remembering Grandpa


One year ago today we said goodbye to my dad. We said goodbye and let him go. He went home. He went home to be with his Father, his Savior, His Lord. At that moment my heart felt as if it had been crushed, but my soul rejoiced. My dad was healed. He was given a new body free from all pain. I miss my dad terribly, but this one thing gives me peace and joy. He is healed. He is sitting at the feet of Jesus and he is whole. His only concern is Jesus, His only thought is God.

I often find myself thinking of my dad, wondering what he is doing at that very moment. I always picture him sitting at his drums with his head back, his eyes closed and his arms flailing all around, leading the beat of the angels praises to God!

Today I am sad because I can’t hug my dad. I can’t feel his scratchy wiskers on my cheek, I can’t smell his scent. I can’t see his smile or hear his laugh. But, I can remember the time he prayed with me, sitting on his lap, to ask Jesus into my heart. I can remember hundreds of family dinners that ended in laughter-induced stomachaches. I remember several Christmas mornings driving around looking for an open restaurant for breakfast. I remember his voice change on the phone when I told him I was getting married and I remember the look on his face when he saw me in my wedding dress. I remember the proud smile on his face when he first saw Gavin, and then again with Emma. I remember him playing drums, eyes closed, worshipping the Lord for almost 30 years. I think of all these things and realize that the list is endless.

A couple of weeks ago Gavin asked me if we could listen to “grandpa’s music.” A few years ago my dad recorded an album with the praise band and choir from Fellowship in the Pass. We hadn’t listened to it in quite a while so we were excited to turn it on and listen together. Emma asked me to dance so I scooped her up and within a couple of minutes I was weeping out loud. I looked at Gavin, his face was wet with tears and he wanted to be a part of the dance. As I turned to look at Conor he was coming up behind us, tears flowing, also wanting to be part of our dance. We danced and sang and cried together for most of the album. I am so blessed to have my dad’s music. I am blessed to have so many beautiful memories of my dad praising God. He loved to worship God.

This video clip is Gavin and Emma dancing. Right on the other side of the door, my dad was playing the drums. We could hear him loud and clear and the kids joined right in. This was the last time he played the drums for church. He worshiped God until the very end. That is how I remember my dad. I pray that Gavin and Emma would remember this too. And I pray that like my dad, we would all worship Jesus until the very end.

Majesty, worship His Majesty! Unto Jesus be all Glory and Honor and Praise!!! Amen!

.

13 comments:

Marina said...

that's beautiful. no words can describe of what worth is the comfort to you, Koren, to know where your dad is right now.

Kelly Russell said...

I've been thinking about you and your family today. What a nice blog entry that is to honor your dad. love you guys!

thesix said...

koren,
thank you for sharing from your heart, I cried and cried and I am still crying. I knew yesterday was the year aniversary of your father's death. I thought about you all day, and wondering what it must feel like to have made it through a whole year. I trust the Lord that the pain I feel now will lessen but the love I hold for my dad will continue to grow. Thank you for being a part of my life, thank you for your prayers, your encouragement and for reminding me of the hope that lies within all of us- to one day see HIM face to face. To live is Christ to die is GAIN
charlene

Unknown said...

I praise the Lord, Koren, that your father knew the Lord and now he is with Him! That is such a miracle! Your dedication is wonderful and very touching. It made me think about my father who is being lost without Jesus. I wish that one day I will see him praising the Lord like your father did and is doing now!

Love you!
May God bless you and comfort you!

Anonymous said...

Koren...what can I say? Beautiful testimony to a life well-lived! To God be the glory...

Anonymous said...

Koren,
Well, I am sitting here at my school desk thinking of you and this post is beautiful. Tears are streaming down my face at the memory of your wonderful father whom I loved as well. Thank you for posting this and I was praying for your family this week. May the peace that passes understanding guide your heart and mind in Christ Jesus. I love you.


PS. I am coming to Ukraine on a trip with my high school this march. See ya then. Yes, Kiev. Thats close to you, right?

Cara Denney said...

Koren...
Let me join the crowd that is sitting here reading this and crying...so well conveyed the obvious love you and your dad shared...and thankfully his love for Jesus, too. Sigh..."in this world you shall have tribulation"...that always seemed like such a mild word..but I know it encompasses this. I'm sorry for you, but happy for him. And happy for your family that you will be together again someday...and I would really like to meet your dad! So we'll all meet around the drum set, ok? Cuz there's going to be a LOT of folks we know there and it might be hard to find each other. :) I think its cool that you were touched with dancing to remember your dad...I don't know if you read the post I wrote about George, but it had a dancing theme, too...its on my old blog at www.caranews.blog.com if you want to check it out...February 19, 2007 post. LOVE you and praying for you all..
Cara

The Claycamps in Ukraine said...

Hi Koren! What a touching post about your dad! It made me think of my dad and all of the great memories I have of times with him. Maybe our dads are in heaven praising God together!!! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love you,
Christy

Tracy said...

Koren,
Thank you for sharing your heart with us all. Christ in us, the hope of glory is a reality for your dad in a way that we can only partially experience now. May God continue to comfort you and all those who love and miss your dad as you wait to be reunited. In the meantime, may we all follow his example of praising the Lord with our lives. Love you!

Unknown said...

Dear Koren, that music, your dancing and singing and crying, must have been so wonderful...

We are truly blessed that we are of your family and you of ours.

With Love
B & H

Anonymous said...

Koren,
My mom sent me your blog and I laughed and cried as I read your tribute to your dad. I have many memories of playing at your house and being part of a more than a few of those "laughter-induced stomachaches" at mealtimes. My heart aches for you and your family as you miss your dad but I join with you in rejoicing that he is no longer in pain and that he is sitting next to his Lord and Savior worshipping Him!

In Christ,
Christy Mohler (Harvey)

Conor and Koren said...

Thank you to all of you for your wonderful comments. Your thoughtfulness, encouragement and prayers have been an overwhelming blessing during the past year. I am thankful for you all and love you all so much!!!!
Overwhelmed by His mercy and love, Koren

Conor and Koren said...

Christy, I was so happy to see your name here. Thank you for your sweet comment. Can you write my email address so I can get yours. I'd love to keep in touch and see some photos of the girls. conorkoren@gmail.com
Hope to hear from you soon.
Koren